You may remember this fun armoire I redid a while ago? It was in fantastic shape when I got it, except for having no doors. A few weeks later, I came across yet ANOTHER great armoire with no doors, for the same low, low price of $15. Having been built up in my ability to fabricate some new doors from the first one, I snatched it up without a moment’s hesitation.
My awesome husband who has been needing some extra storage in his office laid immediate claim it.
I painted it with Behr Black Suede and did some distressing.
Aren’t those pulls fantastic?!?! I rescued them off of some cabinet doors in the “Free” section at my local Habitat Re-Store. I got 5 of them! :)
And were you wondering about how I added the raised design at the corners of the doors?
I had some 1/4 inch MDF cut to fit for the doors, but wanted to add a little extra something to their flat fronts. I decided to try out the Stucco Texture Medium from DecoArt with a stencil. The directions said to use a putty knife to apply the texture, but being a use-what-you’ve-got kind of gal, I found the beaver tail to be my best option.
I laid down my stencil (I only used a small portion of a large stencil I had on hand) and applied the texture with Mr. Beaver’s tail.
I removed the stencil and let the stucco texture dry completely before painting.
After it was painted and dried, I added a slight bit of metallic glaze to highlight the little special detail. It really ended up being a very cool, subtle effect and added just the right amount of interest to the flat door fronts. I thought it was a great, inexpensive alternative to moulding.
I’m sharing this project with the lovely gals over at The DIY Club!
Also linking to: