Months ago, I saw Beckie at Infarrantly Creative make an adorable puppet theater from an old hutch/bookshelf thingy. Genius! I knew right away that this bookshelf headboard would make a fantastic puppet theater. Knowing that I, myself, have no room whatsoever for anything of the sort in my house, I thought that I could make this for the school's silent auction as well! I get a project, and the school gets some moola! Win/win...
It really needed very little structural work in order to make it over into puppet theater form. I just got a small piece of beadboard cut for the front and nailed that on and removed the back from the top portion. Like Beckie's, mine was a little top heavy and none-too-steady. I wouldn't want to crush any little Catholic School kiddo while they were attempting to act out some story for their Grandparents in their living room, so I jig sawed some boards down to an arch shape and attached them to the sides for added stability.
After those minor alterations, all it needed was paint. I chose Cherry Red from Krylon, which is a really fantastic, deep red. This was my first time using this color, and I'm a now a huge fan. After a coat of black glaze, I was in love. I have to recommend, if you'd like to keep your sanity when working with reds, do yourself a favor and use gray primer. It makes the job so much easier! It only took one coat and a touch up here and there after the gray primer.
And if you want a glorious color combination, try paring the Cherry Red with Blue Ocean Breeze, also from Krylon. I painted the chalk board marquee frame with this fave color (it was leftover from the Turquoise Chair), and it was the perfect accent to the deep red! I hand-painted the "Presenting" and flourishes, and the marquee is ready to announce the latest production!
I used a little turquoise bucket that I had around and painted on "Puppets" and some flourishes with some red acrylic. It holds some hand puppets I bought from Amazon for the occasion.
Also made a little curtain out of some vintage fabric that I found at the thrift store, held up with an el-cheapo expansion rod.
Hope you're inspired to start looking at old things in new ways!
This project is competing in the Kid's Craft Challenge at The CSI project!