As I was driving my kids to go swimming the other day, my neighbor was in the process of taking out this old secretary desk out to the curb. Screech of breaks and hold on to your seats kiddos!!! Mamma’s gotta go score some furniture! (It’s an addiction, really.)
It needed some screwing and gluing, and for something to be done about the hideous faux wood grain paint job someone had attempted at sometime in it’s existence. (It was painted chocolate brown and messily streaked with black over that, I’m guessing to simulate wood???)
One of the hottest trends in interiors right now is the use of metallic finishes, and I was inspired by all the great metallic looks out there as I was contemplating what direction to go with the design of this piece. Here’s some of my inspiration:
(Silver Leaf Bombay Chest, not sure of source )
(Zinc Dresser and Iron Bed Restoration Hardware)
(Silver Leaf Dresser from Decorpad)
(Antique Silver and Gold Painted Dreser from Horchow)
(Burnished Silvery Chest from Horchow)
(Silver Leaf Bombay Chest with Scroll Detailing from Horchow)
For my little freebie secretary, I combined the burnished, heavily antiqued look of the zinc dresser from Restoration Hardware or the burnished silvery chest from Horchow with the tone-on-tone scroll detailing of the last Horchow chest above.
First, I brush primed the piece with Kilz. Then did a base coat with Rust-oleum Bright Coat Silver Metallic Finish Spray Paint. Here’s how she looked after the base coat. The brush strokes from the primer coat showed through, which really did make it look very much like a silver leaf finish, but WAY easier. ;)
Then I mixed up a glaze to add the antiquing using Metallic Champagne paint from Folk Art along with some black acrylic to darken it to a pewter color and water. Then I added the hand-painted scrolling detail, also using the Metallic Champagne Folk Art paint mixed with just a touch of burnt umber to darken. I added back the original antique brass hardware, after giving them a good scrubbing with soap and water. I also added a handle to the top part that I salvaged from another freebie, the two-toned dresser that I finished up last week. Waste not want not! :) And here she is all prettied up:
The moral of the story, you don’t always get what you pay for. Sometimes you get much, much more. ;)
This project is competing in the Roadkill Rescue Challenge over at The CSI Project!
Also linking to parties at: