She began her hutch with black paint. It became a tryannical black blob in her room. No thank you very much. So she ventured unknowingly into a rancid "white". And the story goes on. Black is a so very difficult color. I like it, much. But it can be difficult.
not only for this reason:
ewwwwww! Did I just show you that?
Take another look at the garden gate table we did:
Miss Mustard Seed liked this and featured it, but it never sold, and I felt like the top of the table looked dirty with the black glaze we used.
So we attempted something else. A black top, instead. Granted this table was free. And it was our pet ginuea pig. We'd never really done a large flat surface of black. AM had used a bronze/black rub spray for her entertainment center, and had sprayed several small pieces in her house, but a large table? It was an adventure, to say the least.
So we liked the general way it looked, but the black finish really was important. And it was not perfection. The satin black looked blotchy from the spray paint. You don't notice it because my camera is not the best.I even tried spraying over with clear satin sealant. Nope. And then I tried semi-gloss polyurathane. Nope. Too shiny. AAAAAAAgh! Next time I'm buying the satin poly, but it never ended up working. This whole project was a nightmare for other reasons I won't go into, but, live and learn. And hence, $3 chair projects for the rest of the month.
But yesterday, I finally got this little coffee table right!
And I'm hitting myself because I don't have the before, which I know is the reason you come to visit us.
But I want to explain how I got it right. First, a coat of the 2x rustoleum spray in black satin. Then I took out the electric sander with a very fine grade of sand. I sanded the top lightly. Then I distressed the edges, and next, hand-distressed in all the grooves. I then painted my details. I put a light brown glaze over the details (damp paper towel blotted in light brown acrylic paint, smeared over white). You can't tell with this picture of the antiqued white detail, but it looks so much better. I buffed these details and cleaned them up with my fine-grade steel wool. I sprayed satin clear sealant over the top of the coffee table, only. After it dried, I took the steel wool and buffed the top to a smooth, "rubbed", as Pottery Barn says, black. Excellente! Ready to go.